Vansant, Virginia is a small city located in the southwestern part of the state. It has a population of around 7,000 people and is situated on the banks of the Clinch River. The city is home to many different ethnicities and cultures, with a majority of residents being white and African-American. See topbbacolleges for information about Accomack County, Virginia.
The geography of Vansant is quite diverse, with rolling hills, open fields, and dense forests. The climate in this area is mild with hot summers and cold winters. There are also occasional snowstorms during winter months.
The city has a rich history that dates back to the 1700s when it was first settled by German immigrants. Since then, it has seen its fair share of notable events such as the Battle of Vansant during the Civil War in 1863 and being on the route for several historic railroads.
The economy of Vansant revolves mainly around agriculture and small businesses such as restaurants, retail stores, and auto repair shops. It also serves as a hub for transportation due to its proximity to major highways like I-81 and I-77.
Education in Vansant is provided by two public schools: Vansant Elementary School and North Tazewell High School. Both schools provide quality education to students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. Additionally, there are several private schools in town that cater to specific religious or educational needs such as Montcalm Christian Academy or Bluefield Bible College Prep School.
Politics in Vansant are dominated by Republicans who have held majority power since the late 1800s when they were first elected into office in town council meetings. Currently, there are three Republicans serving on town council along with one independent candidate who was elected most recently in 2018.
Finally, some notable landmarks that define Vansant include: The Old Stone House (an old farmhouse built in 1820), The Clinch River Museum (a museum dedicated to local history), The Tazewell County Courthouse (built in 1859), The First Baptist Church (one of oldest churches built in 1882), The New Town Hall (built after World War II) ,and many more interesting sites scattered throughout town that make up part of its unique character!
Males: 466 (47.1%), Females: 523 (52.9%)
Zip code: 24656
Median resident age: 43.2 years
Median household income: $26,250
Median house value: $66,500
Races in Vansant:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.6%)
- Asian Indian (0.5%)
- Two or more races (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (26.7%), English (13.1%), Irish (5.5%), German (4.8%), Scotch-Irish (4.2%), Dutch (1.2%).
Elevation: 1150 feet
Land area: 7.9 square miles
Neah Vansant is a small town located in Southwest Virginia. According to the 2010 United States Census, the population of Neah Vansant is 541 people. The area has a mix of rural and urban characteristics and offers a variety of amenities for its residents.
The median household income in Neah Vansant is $37,917 and the median home value is $91,100. The cost of living in Neah Vansant is relatively low compared to other areas in Virginia and across the United States. Housing costs are particularly affordable with rents averaging around $650 per month for a one-bedroom apartment. Utilities such as electricity, water, and internet are also relatively affordable with prices comparable to other parts of Virginia. Additionally, groceries are generally cheaper than in other parts of the state as well.
Residents of Neah Vansant have access to several local amenities including parks, restaurants, shopping centers, and more. There are several parks located throughout the town which offer access to outdoor activities such as hiking trails, playgrounds, and picnic areas. There are also several restaurants located within walking distance from most homes offering traditional American fare as well as Mexican cuisine. Additionally, there are two shopping centers within close proximity offering clothing stores, grocery stores, pharmacies and more.
For population 25 years and over in Vansant
- High school or higher: 66.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Vansant CDP
- Never married: 21.4%
- Now married: 60.2%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 9.0%
0.0% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Vansant:
- BUCHANAN GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; GRUNDY, VA)
- CLINCH VALLEY MEDICAL CENTER (about 23 miles; RICHLANDS, VA)
- RUSSELL CNTY MED CNTR (about 25 miles; LEBANON, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Vansant:
- TRI-CITIES RGNL TN/VA (about 57 miles; BRISTOL/JOHNSON/KINGSPORT, TN; Abbreviation: TRI)
- RALEIGH COUNTY MEMORIAL (about 78 miles; BECKLEY, WV; Abbreviation: BKW)
- TRI-STATE/MILTON J. FERGUSON FIELD (about 85 miles; HUNTINGTON, WV; Abbreviation: HTS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Vansant:
- GRUNDY MUNI (about 2 miles; GRUNDY, VA; Abbreviation: GDY)
- TAZEWELL COUNTY (about 25 miles; RICHLANDS, VA; Abbreviation: 6V3)
- MINGO COUNTY (about 34 miles; WILLIAMSON, WV; Abbreviation: 4I0)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Vansant:
- SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 23 miles; RICHLANDS, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,412)
- NORTHEAST STATE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 52 miles; BLOUNTVILLE, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,729)
- BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE (about 62 miles; BLUEFIELD, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,096)
- EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 67 miles; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Full-time enrollment: 9,498)
- APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 75 miles; BOONE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 12,245)
- CONCORD COLLEGE (about 78 miles; ATHENS, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,723)
- WEST VIRGINIA STATE COLLEGE (about 82 miles; INSTITUTE, WV; Full-time enrollment: 3,688)