According to EHEALTHFACTS, Salineno is a small town located in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. The city is situated along the banks of the Rio Grande River and is bordered by Mexico to the south. The climate in Salineno is typically hot and humid, with temperatures ranging from the mid-80s to low-90s during the summer months and temperatures dropping into the 40s during winter months. The city has a long history, with Spanish settlers first arriving in 1749. It has since been part of Mexico, then Texas, and finally part of Starr County since 1848.
Politically, Salineno is part of Starr County and falls under its jurisdiction. The city is governed by a mayor and five council members who are elected to serve two-year terms.
The economy in Salineno largely revolves around agriculture and tourism as well as oil production from nearby fields. There are several local businesses that provide goods and services to residents as well as visitors from other parts of Texas or even Mexico.
Salineno has three schools; two elementary schools (Salineno Elementary School and San Isidro Elementary School) and one middle school (San Isidro Middle School). These schools offer students educational opportunities in both English and Spanish language instruction.
One of Salineno’s most notable landmarks is La Lomita Chapel, which was constructed by local ranchers in 1865. This historic chapel sits atop a hill near the Rio Grande River offering visitors stunning views of both sides of the border between Mexico and Texas. Another prominent landmark is La Casa de la Cultura de Salineno, which was established to promote cultural education among local residents through lectures, workshops, exhibits, concerts, plays, etc., making it an important cultural center for Starr County.
Males: 131 (43.1%), Females: 173 (56.9%)
Median resident age: 33.2 years
Median household income: $13,125
Median house value: $37,300
Races in Salineno:
- Hispanic (99.3%)
- Other race (7.2%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Land area: 2.8 square miles
Salineno, Texas is a small town located in Starr County, Texas. As of 2019, the population of Salineno was estimated to be around 1,400 people. The majority of the population is made up of Hispanic and Latino individuals who make up about 95% of the population. The remaining 5% are mostly made up of White individuals.
The population in Salineno has been growing steadily over the past few years due to an influx of new families from Mexico and other Latin American countries. These new families bring with them their culture, traditions, and values which have become woven into the fabric of this small town. The majority language spoken in Salineno is Spanish but English is also commonly spoken among residents.
The economy of Salineno largely relies on agriculture as there are many farms in the area that provide income for many families living there. There are also a few small businesses such as restaurants, convenience stores, and auto repair shops that provide employment opportunities for residents. In addition to this, many residents travel to neighboring towns or cities for work as well.
For population 25 years and over in Salineno
- High school or higher: 14.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 0.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 31.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 52.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Salineno CDP
- Never married: 18.2%
- Now married: 56.2%
- Separated: 6.9%
- Widowed: 16.7%
- Divorced: 2.0%
19.7% Foreign born (19.7% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Salineno:
- STARR COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; RIO GRANDE CITY, TX)
- MISSION HOSPITAL INC (about 57 miles; MISSION, TX)
- MERCY HEALTH CENTER (about 64 miles; LAREDO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Salineno:
- MC ALLEN MILLER INTL (about 66 miles; MC ALLEN, TX; Abbreviation: MFE)
- LAREDO INTL (about 74 miles; LAREDO, TX; Abbreviation: LRD)
- VALLEY INTL (about 104 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Abbreviation: HRL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Salineno:
- RIO GRANDE CITY MUNI (about 21 miles; RIO GRANDE CITY, TX; Abbreviation: 67R)
- ZAPATA COUNTY (about 33 miles; ZAPATA, TX; Abbreviation: T86)
- JIM HOGG COUNTY (about 62 miles; HEBBRONVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: HBV)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Salineno:
- SOUTH TEXAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 65 miles; MCALLEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,142)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS-PAN AMERICAN (about 66 miles; EDINBURG, TX; Full-time enrollment: 9,651)
- LAREDO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 74 miles; LAREDO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,449)
- TEXAS A & M INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY (about 76 miles; LAREDO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,107)
- TEXAS STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGE-HARLINGEN (about 101 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,167)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-KINGSVILLE (about 110 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,860)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT BROWNSVILLE (about 118 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,044)